CENS is looking for a research assistant
RESEARCH ASSISTANT AT THE CENTER FOR EUROPEAN NEIGHBORHOOD STUDIES
The Center for European Neighborhood Studies (CENS) at Central European University (CEU) invites applications for a Research Assistant position. The initial contract is for a one year with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will join the CENS team in Budapest, Hungary, to conduct independent research focusing on Russia: Russia-EU relations, Russia-NATO relations and Russian policies in the post-Soviet space, mainly vis-à-vis Eastern Partnership states. The language of instruction is English. The Research Assistant reports to the director.
The Center for European Neighborhood Studies is an independent research center of CEU. Its main goal is to contribute to an informed international dialogue about the future of the European Union in the world, while capitalizing on its Central European perspective and regional embeddedness.
The strategic focus of CENS is academic and policy-oriented research on the place and role of the European Union in its rapidly changing and increasingly volatile neighborhood. Through its research, CENS seeks to contribute to the understanding of the environment where the EU, its member states and partners need to (co)operate. CENS aims to support the constructive development of these relations by providing opportunities for discussion and exchange. CENS's geographic focus areas are Central and Eastern Europe, the Western Balkans and Turkey, Eastern Europe, the South Caucasus and Russia.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Monitoring and analyzing current political and economic developments in the EU, Russia and neighborhood, with particular focus on foreign and security policy
- Participating in and/or providing assistance to CENS's projects dealing with the region, including research, administrative and organizational tasks
- Organizing and participating in events (conferences, workshops, panels, etc.) related to the region and to the research assistant's own work in Hungary and abroad
- Participating in CENS fundraising activities, including seeking out opportunities, writing grant proposals and participating in meetings with sponsors
- Contributing to the social media presence of CENS
- Master's degree in political science, international relations, security studies or equivalent
- Proven interest in Russian politics and foreign affairs, Russia-EU relations, Russia-NATO relations, and Russian policies in the post-Soviet space, mainly vis-à-vis Eastern Partnership states.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Working proficiency in Russian language is essential
- Proactive mindset
- Experience with project management and event organization
- Previous work experience in think tanks and academia, (academic) publications and experience working in an international environment is an asset
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send their application in one PDF document, including:
- Cover letter
- Copies of relevant degrees and certificates
Please send your complete application package in one PDF to: email@example.com - including job code in subject line: 2019/048.
Central European University (CEU) is a graduate research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy and management. It is accredited in the United States and Hungary. CEU’s mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, research-based teaching and learning and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and other emerging democracies throughout the world. CEU offers both master’s and doctoral programs, and enrolls more than 1,400 students from over 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of more than 180 resident faculty, from over 50 countries, and a large number of prominent visiting scholars from around the world. The language of instruction is English.
For more information, please visit www.ceu.edu
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use, and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice